Thursday, July 14, 2011

600 Blog Posts

Every three months I make a book out of my blog posts.
Notice how the first book had no dates on it?
Back in the beginning I never thought I'd still be blogging two years later!

Last week, genealogy blogger Bill West noted that he had reached his 1,000th blog post at his West In New England, and then a few days later Susan Peterson noted her 500th blog post at her Long Lost Relatives blog.  Congratulations to both of them, and to anyone else who has reached this milestone. 

 I enjoyed reading their reflections on blogging very much, and wondered how many posts I had written.  I didn’t know how to find out this data, but by adding up some numbers on my blog statistics page I saw that I had missed announcing the 500th post mark, but was still a long way from 1000.  Then Blogger changed its platform and the new format had an interesting new tag across the top of the page.  On July 12 it stated that I had written 599 posts!

By the time you read this I will have passed the 600th blog post!
Well, that stat is enough for me to celebrate!  Also, my 2nd anniversary for Nutfield Genealogy will be on July 27, which is just two weeks from today.  I remember starting my blog with only two or three posts, and then taking a long break while we entertained some cousins from Spain.  The same thing will happen later this month, when I will probably be incommunicado for the same reason, with the same cousins from Spain visiting New Hampshire.  Isn’t it funny how the more things change, the more they stay the same?
Two years ago I thought I had lost my momentum right at the beginning, but I guess I was able to jump back in, and haven’t run out of story ideas or genealogy information yet.  There have been more vacations, several ice storms and losses of electrical service, illnesses and family issues, but I’ve kept plugging along.  I’m glad I have a few weeks before my “Blogaversary” to ponder over all these things.  It looks like Nutfield Genealogy is here to stay…

--------------------
Copyright 2011, Heather Wilkinson Rojo

15 comments:

  1. Heather,

    Congratulations !!!!

    I hope you have your books available to look through at the Bash.

    How did you create your books? I know there are several Blog to Book websites around, but the cover's look great.

    I am so glad that you haven't lose your momentum.

    Congrats !!

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Blurb to slurp the blog to a book. I just add the cover (the photo of the Morrison House at the top of my blog) and do some minor edits (most of the edits involve swapping out thumbnails of my photos to full size because Blurb does a nice job publishing photos. I've used them to make some nice vacation photo books) It's easy. You can preview the books at the Blurb bookstore online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Special congratulations. Been following you a long time and it has been fun and educational...I've learned so much. And thanks for being a cousin of mine, many times over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Heather! You are an inspiration. I just love your blog and find particular delight when you talk about the "Mill Girls" and Adams Families. My Adams roots come of Enoch of Newbury who later settled in the area of Salisbury, New Hampshire. Just looking at your header makes me homesick for New England...
    Keep up the fine work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Heather! Wow, you have been busy! We all love it and thank you, they are all great posts! Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Cousin Heather! I'm glad you stuck with it too, because you're one of my favorite geneablogger cousins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I think it's so cool that you print the books every 3 months. I want to print off a book to but I don't write enough to do it every three months. Maybe I could do every 6 months or a year. What a great Legacy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How many blogs per book? That sounds like a great thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The reason I do three months worth is that if my book is under 150 pages it will probably have a sewn binding at Blurb. Bigger books aren't guaranteed to be sewn. I've been able to keep them at just under 150 pages with 3 months worth of posts. I'll show them to you when you get here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy 600! What a great idea to make books out of your posts. I love your blog and look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heather, what a milestone. Some day maybe I will reach that. I love the book idea. Multi reasons for that comment. I just heard your under the weather so hopefully by morning you will be up and at it again.
    HUGS, prayers and thanks for all you do for the genealogy community.

    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heather...I just saw this. Congrats. I don't have nearly the number of blogs in 3 years. I've considered the book idea, but didn't know if we could choose which posts to include (exclude). Will have to look into that.

    I love your blog, thanks and enjoy the cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kathleen! Yes, you can pick and choose which blogs to include. I only do the stories, because I give the book to family members as gifts- and that's all they are interested in. It's nice for me to have my own copies, too, as sort of a "hard copy".

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Congratulations on 600 wonderful posts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did a blurb book of my old blog, awhile ago. Came out great and made a couple of genealogy books that I gave out as gifts and a few relatives ordered them. Love them!

    ReplyDelete