Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Weathervane Wednesday - A weathercock

I'm nearing the end of this series.  There are only so many weather vanes in the Nutfield area (Londonderry and Derry, New Hampshire).    This is one of the last I will be posting in the next two months on Wednesdays.

As a challenge, I publish the locations at the bottom of the post so you can see the photo first.  After you guess you can scroll down to the bottom to see the location.

Do you know the location of weather vane #29?



The rooster is a popular weathervane motif, and is so common that in England weathervanes are known as "weathercocks".   This one is located in a very public and well known spot, and I'll bet that many Londonderry people have never noticed it at all.  It is on top of the cupola above the BP gas station at the crossroads of Mammoth Road and Nashua Road (Route 102).  This gas station is more commonly known as "Chuck's", and is the site of many fundraisers, community car washes and the annual Knights of Columbus Christmas Tree sale.

Click here to see the other weather vanes I have featured in this series.

---------------
Copyright 2012, Heather Wilkinson Rojo

1 comment:

  1. I promise if you make this series into a Coffee Table Book I'd buy it! Maybe a 2013 calendar!

    ReplyDelete