Saturday, April 6, 2013

Surname Saturday ~ Tuttle/Tootill/Tuthill


My ancestor Symon Tootill/Tuttle/Tuthill never lived in the New World.  His wife, Isabell Wells, came with her sons, William, John and Richard, on the Planter in 1635.  There is no further record of her in New England, so she probably did not live long after the voyage.  In genealogy we often laugh about the “myth of the three brothers who arrived in America”, but this is the third time I’ve written about three brothers arriving in the New World.  I descend from The brother John, and also from their sister, Dorothy, who married John Bill in England and also came to New England.

Symon Tootill was born about 1560 in Ringstead, Northamptonshire, England.  He was mentioned in his father’s and also in his father-in-law’s wills.  Simon’s will mentions his sons Richard, Thomas, John, Simon and William.  He was buried at Ringstead on 15 June 1630.  Simon’s will was dated 19 December 1627 and proved at Northampton:

In the Name of God Amen The nyneteeneth Day of December in the yeare of our Lord god one thousand six hundred twentie seaven I Symon Tuttell of Ringsted in the Countie of Northton yeoman strong in minde and of good and pfect memory thanks and praise be to allmighty god and weighing and considering the frailety of mans life and the uncertainty of this world doe make and ordayne this my psent Testamt contayning therein my last will in mann[er] and forme as followeth that ys to say ffirst I [c]om[m]end and com[m]itt my soule into the hands of Allmighty god Creator assuredly believing through the onely meritte of Jesus Christe my saviour to be made ptaker of Everlasting life And my body I comitt to the earth from whence it came to be buried [torn] Christon burialls at the discrecion of my Executrix hereafter named, hopeing assuredly to receive the same again at the gene[ral] resurreccion not a mortall but an immortall and glorious body.

And now as concerning those lands and goodes wch god of his goodness hath lent me I give and bequeath unto Isabell my wife All that moytie or prcell of land meadows and com[m]ons wth theire and each of theire appurtenances wch ys due to me out of the land formerly [?] conveyed to my Edlest sonne Richard and the house messuages or ten[emen]ts wherein I now dwell together with all the houses yards lands meadows pastures com[m]ons comodities and appurtenances whatsoever thereunto belonging or in any wise appurteyning and also All those landes meadows and comons wth thappurtances wch I lately had an purchased of Thomas Holding Edward Asin [?] al[ia]s James, and of Will[ia]m Sillyman and of each of them To ahve and to hold the same for and during the terme of her naturall life and after the naturall death of decease of y saide wyfe I give and bequeath all and singular the said mentioned lands and premisses wth their and each of their appurtenances unto Will[ia]m Tuttell my youngest sonne to have and to holde the same unto the saide Will[ia]m Tuttell and to the heirs of his Body Lawfully to be begotten, and for want of such yssue to the second sonne of my sonne Richard and to his heirs for ever

Itm I give and bequeath unto John Tuttle my second sonne all that dwelling house wherein Mr Wrothfall now dwelleth wth all the houses thereunto belonging and the yarde and orchard thereunto adjoyning, and sometyme in the tenure or occupason of John White to have and to hold the same unto the saide John Tuttell and to his heirs and assignes for ever Itm I give and bequeath unto Isabel my said wyfe the one halfe [torn] that meadow wch I lately purchased of Joane Bateman wydow to have And to hold the same for and during her naturall life, And I give and bequeath the other Mytie or half of the same meadowe to my sonne Will[ia]m to enter [there] upon ymmediately after my decease, and I likewise give and bequeath unto my said sonne Will[ia]m the other Moytie of the same meadow to enter thereuppon after the naturall decease of my said wyfe to have and to hold the same unto him the said Will[ia]m and to the heires of his bodye lawfully to be begotten, so as he my said sonne [re]linquishes the twentie poundes given to him by his grandfather John Welles in and by his last will and testamet and the fyve pounds wch fell to him by the death of his brother Thomas Tuttell and for want of such issue of the body of the said Will[ia]m I give and bequeath the same meadowe unto the eldest sonne of my said sonne Richard and to his heirs for ever and I doe gie to my sonne Richard [illegible] halfe [illegible] the lord mordant [?] on both sides of it.

Itm I give to my sone John and his heirs for ever one dole of meadow [of?] forty foote in same which I purchased of Eusache Morton Thomas Ekins [?]. Itm I give to my sunn John his Daugher Abigaill fiue pounds at the age of fifteene years: Itm I give and bequeath unto the poore of Ringsted aforesaid xxs. to be distributed amongst the poorest sorte at the discreson of the minister and churchwardens. Itm I give to my godchildren xxs. apeece. Itm I give to my sonne Will[ia]m my best bedsted wth the bedding and furniture thereunto belonging, or therewith usd, the table in the hall wth the frame, halfe a duzzen of framd stooles, the yron barres on the chimneys wth the hookes and hangings the bed whereon he lyeth my best brasse pan my best brasse pott, my mault mill as now yt standeth, my bolting [twine and yeelding?] fatt, the barr of yron and the package [?], and I will that all my sheepe be equally devided betweene my said wife and my said sonne Will[ia]m wth the increase thereof so long as he keepeth himselfe unmarried. Itm I give and bequeath unto my said sonne Richard and to his heirs for ever one acre of leyes wch I purchased of Mr Carier, and half a dusson sheep. Itm I forgive [missing] my said sonne John thirtie pounds. Itm I give more unto my said sonne Will[ia]m my great cubbord in the [missing] the greater chest, two of the biggest chaires, and the chest that standeth by the bedsted. Itm I give untomy grand [childre]n xxs. a peece Divided allwaies And I will that all the said Movable goods herein given to my sonne Will[ia]m carefully to apply and husband his mothers business to the best of his power in [missing] of the person herein bequeathed pformed and my funeral expenses discharged. I give & bequeath unto Isabel my said wife [missing] and to be executrix of this my psent testamt and for the better execuson thereof I order [missing] them supervisores thereof and [missing]s. apeece [missing] and seal the day and year above written.

There is an additional line written in different penmanship (Abigail was born in 1628)
"to my sunn John, his daughter Abigail, five pounds at the age of fifteene years."

The will was signed by Simon T.... (the paper of this will is described as fragile and broken)

Simon’s son John Tuttle came to America on board the Planter with his wife and her three children by a first marriage (two of the Lawrence daughters are my 9x great grandmothers), and his brothers William and Richard and their families.  He settled in the town of Ipswich, Massachusetts. In 1651 he returned to England and then to Carrickfergus in Northern Ireland.   On 6 April 1657 his wife, Joan, wrote that he had died there on 30 December 1656.  She probably died there, too. I descend from their son, Simon Tuthill, my 9x great grandmother, who settled in Ipswich and Lynn, Massachusetts.

My lineage from the Tuttles:

Lineage A:

Generation 1:  Symon Tootill, born about 1560 in Ringstead, Northampton, England, died before 15 June 1630; married about 1592 to Isabel Wells, daughter of John Wells.  She was born about 1565 and died about 1635 probably in New Haven, Connecticut. Six children.

Generation 2: Dorothy Tuttle, born about 1592 in England and died about December 1638 in Boston, Massachusetts; married about 1612 in England to John Bill, son of John Bill and Ann Mountford. Five children.

Generation 3: Philip Bill, born April 1629 in Ringstead, died 8 July 1689 in New London, Connecticut; married 8 July 1689 in Groton, Connecticut to Hannah Waite, daughter of Samuel Waite and Mary Ward.  She was born about 1625 probably in Finchingfield, Essex, England, and died about 1709 in Groton, Connecticut.  Eight children.

Generation 4: Samuel Bill m. Mercy Houghton
Generation 5: Ebenezer Bill m. Patience Ingraham
Generation 6: Asahel Bill m. Mary Rand
Generation 7: Reverend Ingraham Ebenezer Bill m. Isabella Lyons
Generation 8: Professor Caleb Rand Bill m. Ann Margaret Bollman
Generation 9: Isabella Lyons Bill m.  Albert Munroe Wilkinson
Generation 10: Donald Munroe Wilkinson m. Bertha Louise Roberts (my grandparents)

Lineage B:

Generation 2: Dorothy’s brother, John Tuttle married Joan Antrobus in 1627 in St. Albans, Hertfordshire, England.  She was the widow of Thomas Lawrence, who died on 20 March 1625.  Joan and Thomas Lawrence are my 10x great grandparents on my maternal side. John was born about 1656 and died on 30 December 1656 in Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland.  They had five children together.

Generation 3: Simon Tuthill, born 1637 in Ipswich, Massachusetts; died 11 January 1691 in Lynn, Massachusetts; married about 1663 to Sarah Cogswell, daughter of John Cogswell and Elizabeth Thompson. Twelve children.

Generation 4: John Tuthill, born 22 April 1666 in Ipswich, died 27 Feb 1715 in Ipswich; married on 3 December 1689 in Ipswich to Martha Ward, daughter of Samuel Ward and Abigail Maverick.  She was born 16 September 1672 in Salem, Massachusetts, and died 17 August 1723 in Ipswich. Seven children.

Generation 5: Martha Tuthill m. Mark Haskell

Generation 6: Lucy Haskell m. Jabez Treadwell
Generation 7: Nathaniel Treadwell m. Mary Hovey
Generation 8: Jabez Treadwell m. Betsey Jillings Homan
Generation 9: Eliza Ann Treadwell m. Abijah Hitchings
Generation 10: Abijah Franklin Hitchings m. Hannah Eliza Lewis
Generation 11: Arthur Treadwell Hitchings m. Florence Etta Hoogerzeil
Generation 12: Gertrude Matilda Hitchings m. Stanley Elmer Allen (my grandparents)
On 28 March 2013 the Fieldstone Common internet radio show featured an interview with Ava Chamberlain, the author of The Notorious Elizabeth Tuttle: Marriage Murder and Madness in the Family of Jonathan Edwards.  Elizabeth Tuttle was the daughter of William Tuttle, Symon and Isabel's son, and niece to Dorothy Tuttle, my 8th great grandmother.  You can find a link to the podcast (archived version) of this interview at the Fieldstone Common blog:



--------------------------------------

Copyright 2013, Heather Wilkinson Rojo

7 comments:

  1. Heather, did any of your Tuttles settle in New Jersey? There is a Stephen Tuttle buried in the national cemetery here in St. Augustine who was a native of New Jersey. He was a Lieutenant in the Army Corps of Engineers and was involved in building the sea wall that protected the town. He died here in 1835 from an illness. Apparently he was quite a character and got into all kinds of trouble while he was here. The story of how I "stumbled" onto him is at First Plots and he's the engineer mentioned in Dungeon Tales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am descended from John Tuttle & Joan Antrobus. I didn't know the story of the family of William Tuttle. Thanks for the link to the radio show and book. I think I need to read the book now. It sounds fascinating! And to think that when I was learning about Puritan life in school I thought they were the most boring society ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am descended from one of the three sons: William Tuttle (d. 1673, Connecticut) through his son Joseph. After listening to last week's Fieldstone Common episode, I figured out that I am related to the "notorious" Elizabeth Tuttle, who was not William's wife, but one of his daughters (and sister to my ancestor, Joseph). (William's wife was an Elizabeth, too, making things confusing.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! You are correct, Elizabeth! Too many Elizabeths! I'm fixing that error now...

      Delete
  4. I never heard of the "myth of the three brothers who arrived in America," but that's exactly what our family has. We still don't have an arrival date or place or even a state--and somewhat like yours, it's a name with half a dozen different spellings. It's a brick wall I haven't even thought of tackling yet.

    New England genealogy seems full of certainties! Or at least, yours does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mariann, you made me laugh with your "certainties" statement. Most of my Surname Saturday sketches were once brickwalls. I've been working on these for 35 years. Nothing is certain, and I'm still digging up information on most of these names. It's a never ending battle!

      Delete
  5. Nathaniel Tuthil Tuttle 1639 Hingham, Mass https://www.ancestry.com/media/viewer/viewer/aa8cac55-c370-4faa-aa0a-8c87d2092b6a/12065842/-7327677

    https://www.facebook.com/notes/plymouth-colony-massachusetts-genealogy-1620-1775/tuttle-genealogy/1053002018082195

    TUTTLE Genealogy

    DOROTHY PHELPS GELLAI·THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2016

    This is one branch of the Tuttle family who resided in Hingham, MA (separate from the ones in Ipswich, MA and New Haven, CT).
    The descendants of William and Elizabeth Tuttle, who came from old to New England in 1635, and settled in New Haven in 1639, with numerous biographical notes and sketches : also, some account of the descendants of John Tuttle, of Ipswich; and Henry Tuthill, of Hingham, Mass.
    https://archive.org/stream/descendantsofwil02tutt#page/n3/mode/2up
    Nathaneil, Joseph, James Jacobus, James m to Rebecca Washburn, Joseph/James Tuttle 1767 d 1860 ( James Tuttle 1766-1850 wife Nancy, daughter Patience Rebecca 1806 Ebert, GA
    down to Patience REbecca Tuttle

    ReplyDelete