This tombstone was photographed at the Monumental Cemetery in Peabody, Massachusetts
LUTHER S. MUNROE
Dec. 21, 1851
Blessed are the dead who die
in the Lord
Luther S. Munroe
Nov. 26, 1875
Aged 70 yrs.
Reached, we trust, an heavenly home
And they Savior's blest abode
His had married on 3 September 1826 in Reading, Massachusetts to Olive Flint. She was the daughter of John Flint and Phebe Flint (second cousins). They had six children born in Danvers and Salem, Massachusetts.
Several years ago a distant Munroe cousin contacted me via the internet about genealogy. She lived in Hudson, New Hampshire, right next door to me in Londonderry. We have met several times to exchange Munroe information. She descends from Luther and Olive's son, William Calvin Munroe (1833-1891). I descend from his elder sister, Phebe Cross Munroe (1830 - 1895). She took me to Peabody to visit the Monumental Cemetery, where many Munroes and Wilkinsons are buried. We had a fun day together exploring the cemetery with her dog Hamm, and we even had time to drive over to Farnham's in Essex for fried clams for lunch.
Children of Luther and Olive Munroe:
1. William Calvin Munroe, born 20 March 1827 in Danvers, died 9 September 1830 in Danvers
2. Luther Simonds Munroe, Jr., born 31 December 1823 in Reading, no further information
3. Phebe Cross Munroe, born 28 October 1830 in Danvers, died 31 January 1895 in Salem; married Robert Wilson Wilkinson
4. William Calvin Munroe, born 21 December 1833, died 10 August 1891 in Salem; married Adeline Bradley Jones.
5. Olivia Adeline Munroe, born 18 January 1836 in Salem, died 29 November 1905 in Charlestown, Massachusetts; married first to Corydon B. Green, married second to John Henry Grout.
6. George Warren Munroe, born 2 August 1840 in Salem, died on 2 February 1867 in Danvers of consumption, unmarried at age 26. He is buried with a Civil War marker. He served as a private in Co. A of the 59th Infantry Regiment of Massachusetts between 16 November 1863 and 11 May 1865.
The URL for this post is
Copyright (c) 2014, Heather Wilkinson Rojo