Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Weathervane Wednesday ~ Somewhere in Delaware

Weathervane Wednesday is an on-going series of photographs I post weekly.  I started by publishing weather vanes from the Londonderry area, but now I've been finding interesting weather vanes all across New England.  Sometimes my weather vanes are whimsical, or historical, but all are interesting. Often, my readers tip me off to some very unique and unusual weather vanes, too!

Today's weather vane  is from somewhere in Delaware, sent to me by a loyal reader.

Do you know the location of weather vane #195? Scroll down to see the answer!




These weather vane photos were sent to me via Facebook by Yolanda Campbell Lifter, one of my blog readers from Ohio.  This is the Lower Brandywine Presbyterian Church in Wilmington, Delaware. This church was organized on 15 October 1720 in a log cabin, and the brick church was built and dedicated on 8 November 1860.   The steeple was added in 1929, which is probably when the weather vane was installed.  

I love the traditional arrow of the weather vane, topped with the crown.  This has all developed a nice patina over the years.  Yolanda did a great job of getting a nice close up photo of this weather vane, which can be very tricky.  Yolanda is a genealogist and owner of a business called Ohio Family Research http://www.ohiofamilyresearch.com/    

The history of the Lower Brandywine Presbyterian Church:



------------------------
The URL for this post is
http://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2015/02/weathervane-wednesday-somewhere-in.html

Copyright (c) 2015, Heather Wilkinson Rojo

No comments:

Post a Comment